Welcome!

Welcome to my photo blog! after trying a couple of different ways to present my pictures online (including some that I failed at, such as the popular "Project 365") I decided to experiment with a photo blog. No strict rules about frequency or content, just a picture or two with a short description each time. I rarely edit my pics - out of general habit, and lack of know-how :)

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

NIME presentations 2010-06-16

This was the main presentation room at the University of Technology Sydney for NIME2010.

The particular talk was a comparison between the open source monome and the Yamaha Tenori-on - two quite similar devices technology-wise, but presented under different business models. The gist of the presentation was that an open source project allows people to constantly modify and update a device according to the whims of the user/developer, while a close sourced one (obviously) does not. As such the monome has undergone hundreds of firmware versions, while the Yamaha has maybe a handful. However, as one of my professors on the trip, Bob Pritchard, pointed out: as a musical instrument, are such quick changes (even if they are improvements) always a good thing?


IMG_9900

Aside, have you noticed that identical images from two identical projectors placed side by side never look identical? :P

No comments:

Post a Comment